The Government of Malawi received a grant from the European Union under the 11th European Development Fund to implement nutrition programme called Afikepo meaning ‘Let the children develop to their full potential’. The purpose of the programme is to contribute to the enhancement of Food and Nutrition Security in Malawi in the fourteen (14) selected districts namely: Chitipa, Karonga, Nkhatabay, Mzimba, Kasungu, Nkhotakota, Salima, Chiradzulu, Thyolo, Mulanje, Phalombe, Nsanje, Chikwawa and Zomba. The programme is promoting among others increased and diversified dietary intake of safe and nutritious foods; increased use of enhanced nutrition knowledge, awareness and hygiene practices; and strengthening multi-sectoral governance of nutrition at all levels. It is also supporting capacity building of nutrition professionals from various government line ministries and departments to effectively implement and translate nutrition policy objectives into actions. This programme is aligned with the Malawi 2063 First 10 Year Implementation Plan (MIP-1) 2021-2030 and Malawi Growth and Development Strategy (MGDSIII) key priority areas and the actions in the National Multi-Sector Nutrition Policy and Strategic Plan.
Therefore, the Government of Malawi through the Department of Nutrition, HIV and AIDS (DNHA) in the Ministry of Health with funding from the European Union (EU) under the Afikepo Nutrition Programme invites interested eligible Malawians who are serving government officers to apply for scholarships to pursue a Certificate in Nutrition Course. These scholarships shall be offered to successful candidates to study Nutrition and Home Management one year course at Magomero Community Development College in Chiradzulu district. There are 38 scholarships for social workers and 5 scholarships for school health and nutrition teachers.
Eligibility for the Certificate Scholarship
The scholarship is open for serving government officers who meet the following criteria;
- Malawian citizen aged less than fifty (50) years,
- Must be a Social Worker (Social Welfare, Community Development and Child Protection staff at Grade O, N, M, K or J) or a School Health and Nutrition teacher,
- Must possess an MSCE with a credit in English, a pass in Mathematics and a pass in any two (2) of the following science subjects: Biology, Home Economics, Agriculture, Physical Science, Chemistry, Physics and General Science,
- Must be willing to sign a training bond in line with Government training bond,
- Must be willing to undergo training through block release mode of learning,
- Must be willing to work in remote areas to support Afikepo Nutrition Programme or other government Nutrition Programmes during long school break and attachments,
- Qualified female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and they have an added advantage.
Interested applicants should submit an application letter together with the following documents:
- An updated curriculum vitae-CV (containing applicants age and contacts: phone number and/or email address and referee contacts),
- A copy of MSCE certificate or notification of results,
- A copy of Social Welfare Certificate, Community Development Certificate or Child Protection certificate or Community Based Work with Children and Youth Certificate (CBWYC) or a teaching certificate copy,
- A signed reference letter from the employer and,
- A recent pay slip or a letter of conditional offer of employment (PSR19 Form).
Applications should be sent to the address below clearly marking the type of scholarship one is applying for:
The Imprest Administrator
Department of Nutrition, HIV and AIDS
Centre House Arcade, MPICO Building
Private Bag B401
THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS IS 30th MAY, 2022
Those who previously applied for the Afikepo certificate scholarships when it was advertised but were not successful are strongly encouraged to re-apply.
Please note that the training is contingent upon approval of the No Cost Extension to the Multi-Annual Programme Estimate (MAPE).